Wedding vows serve as an intimate moment during the ceremony where the couple expresses their love, promise and commitment to one another. We’ve probably all been to weddings where the couple promises to have and to hold from this day forward although, these days, many couples are choosing to forgo the traditional vows in favor of writing their own.
Writing your own wedding vows gives the two of you the chance to personalize this moment and provide your guests a look into the unconditional and true love you have for one another. Every love is a one-a-kind. You can customize your vows to celebrate just how incredibly special your love is.
How To Write Wedding Vows Step By Step
Writing memorable wedding vows is all about speaking from the heart and putting your feelings onto paper, but it isn’t always easy. Follow our template for writing wedding vows to help you craft perfect words and avoid running into any writer’s block:
- Start with a statement about who this person is to you. Your best friend, your lover, your partner in crime, or your everything.
- Continue by saying what it is you love about your partner. What about this person has led you to promise forever? When did you realize you were in love? What do you miss when you’re not around each other? Jotting down all of your ideas and each of things you love about this person can make it easier to get your thoughts together, find a theme and focus in on a few items that really stand out. Don’t worry about saying every little thing, if you were to do that your ceremony would go on forever.
- Use a story to bring this love to life. This is a great moment to tell a story or use an anecdote to bring your love to life. A personal story is memorable and will give your guests an intimate look into your love for one another.
- Lay out exactly what it is you are promising. Make promises to your partner and vow to stick to them. Such as, “I vow to always support you,” or “I promise to never steal the covers unless, you’re hogging them.” Mention specific ways you will show your love— in romantic ways, funny ways and ways only the two of you could understand. If the two of you are celebrating your faith on your wedding day, you can incorporate religious wedding vows and wedding bible verses too. Use words like I vow, I promise and I pledge.
- Use romantic wedding vows to personalize your promise. Use romantic wedding vows to encompass your promise, love and devotion.
- Use funny wedding vows to personalize your promise. Your wedding day will be one of the happiest days of your life. Add humor to your wedding vows so they stay true to the two of you.
- Mention specific things the two of you will do together. Continue this portion of your vows by mentioning the specific things you will accomplish together. Using phrases like: “With you,” “I will,” and “Together.”
- Don’t forget to add that you’ll be there even when times get rough. Reassure your partner that this is for better or for worse, in sickness and in health.
- Wrap your vows up with a look towards the future. Think about your goals, aspirations and future. Will your love help you through the home remodel? How will your love set the tone for the way you raise your family? What are you looking forward to sharing with this special person.
- “As long as we both shall live.” End your vows with one last promise, the promise of forever, for eternity and until death do us part.
Photo: United Elite Photography
See more content from our blog!
31 Creative Wedding Bar Ideas Your Guests Will Love [+Printable Drink Recipes]
The wedding bar is one of the most frequented spots at any reception, so why not make it an area to remember? The wedding bar is one of the most frequented spots at any reception, so why not make it an area to remember? The bar is arguably one of the most frequented...
New Jersey wedding venues prepare for increased indoor capacity
by Ashley Johnson
We are excited to host unforgettable events! People who postponed their initial plans can finally set a new date.
Favorite Wedding Songs of All Time
To give you some inspiration while you’re making your musical selects for your big day, wedding planners shared, in their view, the best wedding song of all time. Check it now!
Biggest Wedding Gift Questions, Answered
Here are five of the most common wedding registry questions, with the etiquette and advice to make this process pain-free—and even fun!
Contact & Location
The Mansion on Main Street is a picturesque events venue wrapped in elegance and modern beauty. Situated amidst exquisitely manicured grounds, lush gardens and a large cascading waterfall in Voorhees, New Jersey, this breathtaking property is ideal for gatherings of any kind, including but not limited to weddings, corporate events and celebrations.